You might be just the person we're looking for to fill an open position. To apply for any of the positions listed below, send a resume and cover letter to the address listed for that position.
Position Title: Vice President for Development
Location: Headquarters, Bernardsville, NJ
Reports to: President and CEO
Position Classification: Salaried, exempt, full time, regular
Job Description: The Vice President for Development serves as a member of the senior staff team and an active participant in making strategic decisions affecting NJ Audubon. This position is responsible for leadership of all fundraising and development activities including web based and social media. The VP for Development will design and implement a comprehensive fund raising plan. The successful candidate will help forge new relationships to build NJ Audubon's visibility, impact, and financial resources. The VP for Development will provide strategic leadership for an anticipated Capital Campaign.
The VP for Development will have primary responsibility for establishing and implementing the infrastructure needed to grow a $6,000,000 plus budget through the solicitation of membership, gifts and contributions including major gifts, federal and state grants, special events, and corporate and foundation support. S/he will expand and diversify NJ Audubon's donor base/pipeline and work closely with other team members to secure funding for new initiatives. In addition, the VP for Development will work closely with the board of directors and support board members as they take on a more active fundraising role.
It is expected that the amount raised by the VP for Development for NJ Audubon will increase in future years as s/he systematically and effectively strengthens the organization's overall fundraising capacity. NJ Audubon plans to launch a Capital Campaign in the near future. The VP for Development will lead the planning efforts and play a key role in launching the Campaign.
· Creates and leads a department with a vibrant, can-do culture which is always striving for excellence, innovation and periodically questions the status quo.
· Leads all fundraising initiatives including capital campaign.
· Develops and implements annual fund raising plan to achieve financial sustainability and fund mission delivery. This encompasses memberships, gifts and contributions including major gifts, federal and state grants, special events, and corporate and foundation support. Motivates staff, board members and volunteers to implement the plan.
· Leads the efforts to assure that fund raising trends and best practices are incorporated into the annual plan to position NJ Audubon ahead of major funding changes or trends.
· Regularly monitors and assesses all fund raising efforts and makes recommendations to be implemented and addresses areas requiring immediate corrective measures. Ensures timely implementation.
· Assures that all development staff actively cooperates in the cultivation of strong relationships with funders.
Leads the Organization’s fund raising efforts, including management of a dynamic and innovative development department, and motivates other staff, volunteers and Board members to actively participate in fundraising.
· Active member of senior management team including participation in senior staff meetings, on teams working on CEO/organizational priorities, and working to break down traditional silos.
· With the Vice President for Finance directs fund raising goals including aligning fund raising to priorities and achieving financial sustainability.
· Leads and motivates department staff so that the organization is financially healthy and sustainable, priorities are fully funded and sufficient resources are secured to fulfill its mission.
· Makes routine employment decisions regarding staff duties and responsibilities; reviews performance.
· Assigns work, guides and motivates staff.
· Resolves personnel problems with guidance from HR.
· Promotes staff growth and training including succession planning.
· Leads the organization’s fund raising communications--oral, written and digital (including web, email and social media, etc.)
· Represents the Society in public forums, where appropriate to further the mission and promote the Society.
· Oversees production of the Annual Report and the Development section of the NJ Audubon Magazine and works on other publications as needed.
· Prepares written reports, proposals and plans as required.
· Attends department and Society meetings and serves on committees as requested by President and CEO.
· Provides primary staff support for the Development Committee and Nominating and Governance Committee to realize fund raising goals.
· Participates with other staff to adopt a “team” approach towards daily operations at the assigned office.
· Works with the Vice President for Finance to oversee facilities operations at Headquarters.
· Assumes additional responsibilities as requested.
Knowledge and Skills
· Demonstrated fundraising success.
· Demonstrated leadership/management skills.
· Demonstrated, budgeting and finance skills.
· Knowledge of current and emerging trends in fundraising.
· Knowledge and experiences with fund raising software, preferably Raiser’s Edge.
· Knowledge and experience with Social Media trends.
· Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to work successfully with Board, staff and volunteers.
· A professional and resourceful style who will productively engage with others at varying levels of seniority within and outside NJ Audubon.
· Motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently and as a team player, to take initiative, and to manage multiple tasks and projects at a time.
· Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail.
· Excellent communication skills, both written and oral; ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors and build long-term relationships.
· Strong computer skills to fulfill the job requirements.
· Bachelor's degree required.
· 10-plus years of professional fund raising experience in a nonprofit organization; demonstrated success in fundraising.
· Minimum five years experience in management/supervisory positions.
· Experience working with Board members and Board committees.
· Significant experience at a senior level with one or more Capital Campaigns.
· Proven track record in major gift prospect identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship.
· Flexible and adaptable style; a leader who can positively impact both strategic and tactical fundraising initiatives.
· High energy and passion for NJ Audubon's mission.
· Ability to construct, articulate and implement the annual strategic development plan.
· Must be willing to travel and work weekends and nights as required. This requires a reliable vehicle and a valid New Jersey Driver’s License.
· Flexibility to adjust hours to meet specials needs of the department and the organization.
Must be able to walk on uneven surfaces, and be able to lift at least 25 pounds.
Starting Date: Immediate.
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
Deadline: This position will remain open until filled.
Application: Qualified individuals may apply by sending resume with cover letter with salary requirements and three professional references to email@example.com or by mail to:
Executive Assistant and Director of Human Resources
New Jersey Audubon Society
11 Hardscrabble Road
Bernardsville, NJ 07924
New Jersey Audubon Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer.