The public parking area on the Middletown side of the Oceanic
Bridge is a great place to look at winter waterfowl. Light
is best after noon. In some winters a huge flock of
Greater Scaup resides here, sometimes numbering 10,000+.
There are also numbers of American Black Duck, Bufflehead, and
Red-breasted Merganser. Occasionally, Canvasback and
Redhead are mixed in. Unusual birds seen here include
Red-necked Grebe, Eurasian Wigeon, and Tufted Duck. In
winter, keep an eye out for
From the north:
- Take the Garden State Parkway to Exit 117 and follow Rt.
36 for 13 miles to the entrance of Gateway NRA.
- Keep going south on Rt. 36.
- Turn right at Rt. 520 and cross the Sea Bright-Rumson
- Stay on 520 to Bingham Ave. (Monmouth County Rt. 8-A).
- Take a right onto Bingham. Bingham will cross the Oceanic
- Park in the lot on the right-hand side just over the
From the south:
- Take the Garden State Parkway to Exit 105.
- Get on Rt. 36, and continue on Rt. 36 until you reach the
above-mentioned intersection with Rt. 520.
- Turn left onto Rt. 520 and proceed as described above.